Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Destiny - The Game - PS4

Image Not Found

OK so I lied, one more post before my race.. I picked up a copy of Destiny for the PS4 and it is lots of fun.. stayed up late last night with a few beers and played until I realized I had to be at work in 8 hours. Yes I like it and highly recommend it. I won't do a full review of this game other than a few points because the only way to understand is to play it. Besides, there is way more info out on the interwebs than you need to make up your mind if you will buy it. If you game, more than likely someone you know is playing it right now, so you could also ask them.

Image Not Found

My first character is a Exo Warlock because I enjoyed the warlock class the most in the beta. I picked the Exo race because well.. the humans and aliens just look too emo and prissy for my liking (no options for beards WTF?)

Image Not Found

The graphics look great and the controls are well designed.. the world(s) are fun to explore. Bungie made this game available on last gen (PS3 & Xbox 360) and current gen (PS4 and Xbox One) consoles. Also if you get the digital copy on last gens console, you have the option to upgrade your copy of Destiny to the same company's current gen console for free. Your account, characters created, and loot all carries over. So don't wait if you are saving up for the new console, get it on the one you have and upgrade later when you get a chance.

Image Not Found

If you have not heard about this game then likely A. you are not a gamer (or only play a tight niche on PC) B. you live under a rock, or C. -I am too tired to think of another reason-. You likely have seen an advertisement for this game somewhere and not known what it was. This is based on the fact that $500M was spent by Bungie & Activision on this game, a majority of which was on marketing. Seems well spent as there were so many people talking about it, the hype was huge, and now so many people are playing it.

Image Not Found

My only complaints so far: I don't have enough time right now to play as much as I would like, and the in-game communication and community features are lacking. The only way to communicate with people in game is to use the PSN/XBL network messaging system which requires you to switch over the the console interface, be in a private party (also provided by the console's network), or to join in a fireteam (group) with other players in-game so you can use voice chat to talk to them. There are no text chat or area voice chat options provided by the game itself. As for the in game community features, you can join a clan (but that requires going on a computer and using a website) but you can't even see an active clan list in game to join up with your clan mates. You have to use the console's network and add them as a friend anyways.. So all the clan gives you basically is a label. Hopefully Bungie will improve on those limiting features. None of this keeps me from enjoying the game though.

Now back to the cubicle .. (would rather be playing Destiny)

No comments:

Post a Comment