Monday, January 30, 2012

Work Day 1/28/2012

We had another productive work day on Saturday....

It was a windy Saturday and our welder friend was busy over the weekend so we decided just to finish cutting the tubes for the fuel cell protection and put off welding anything for another day.

We did very little with the actual race car it self, plugged some holes, and began making a cover for the back of our kill switch mount. Then one of our old team members came over and added some art work on the trunk of the car for us. I am a horrible painter so I am glad he wanted to do it, and it looks cool. I will just finish painting in the letters later. It is one of the Sex Pistol's album names, we just changed "Pistols" to "Pistons" as usual. Damn we are creative...


Image not Found

Then after he left, my dad and I decided to go check out the motor in the 3rd Spitfire. After charging the battery and hooking up a make shift fuel tank out of a 5 gallon fuel bottle and some spare fuel line, the thing started right up, ran smooth, and sounded good. So we drove it around to where the engine hoist is and I noticed the clutch and transmission felt really good. We worked for hours to get the motor and transmission out and we did it. This motor is now mated to one of the standard 4 speed transmissions and only needs a little bit more work done before it will be a spare that is ready to drop in. The Overdrive transmission that was in the car will go up for sale as well as other parts we won't use. Like maybe the windshield? Though I am not sure how the market looks for used Spitfire 1500 windshields... 

Here is the car now minus the motor. I will be pulling the diff out of it next week to have as a spare, because the more spares the better.

Image not Found

Here is the motor it has a Schneider camshaft, so we're told, and if it is anything like the motor we pulled from the other Spitfire (we got from the same guy) it will be in pretty good shape. The alternator is good, the water pump seems fine. We just have to finish removing the smog air lines and plug the holes those lines leave in the head then tighten things down and it will be ready to drop in if needed.

Image not Found

We had a few casualties during this work day, my dad tore open his knuckle pretty badly and I drenched my cell phone in old radiator water. Nothing some bandage, a popsicle stick, a blow dryer, some alcohol, and a slab of prime rib couldn't cure. You can figure out what cured what....

On a side note, I have started making myself a punk rock vest and some other things to help with our theme aspect. As the captain I have been lacking in that department, but I should be pretty punked out for the Infineon race. I will add photos of that once I get going on it.

There is more work to be done....

No comments:

Post a Comment