Monday, July 7, 2014

Picked up Grid Autosport for PS3 - Updated July 15th, 2014

Image Not Found

Now that the wedding and honeymoon are over (which were awesome FYI).. there is more free time for car stuff, including racing games. I got my copy of Grid Autosport for PS3 and have put in a couple hours and it is good fun so far. The graphics are a bit dated but OK for the 8 year old console, the physics are more arcade like than I prefer (not as good as GT6), but the AI drivers (the in game drivers you race against) are fast and competitive which is a breath of fresh air coming from over half a year of GT6 which has the most boring AI drivers in any modern racing game I have played. Also the engine sounds are very good! (Also much better than GT6 where most cars sound like a vacuum)

Like other Codemasters games I have played in the past, it took a bit to get the wheel settings to feel right but the following seems OK for PS3 using a DFGT wheel with the touring cars and street cars (have not tried open wheel or drifting yet)...

Force feedback = On
Vibration strength = 60%
Wheel strength = 100%
Wheel weight = 70%

Steering deadzone = 0%
Steering saturation = 100%
Steering Linearity = +5
Throttle Deadzone = 0%
Throttle saturation = 100%
Brake Deadzone = 0%
Brake Saturation = 100%
Interior wheel = off
Multi-Turn = On

The way I came to these settings - I first had multi-turn off and it seemed a bit too touchy then I turned it on and it was not nearly sensitive enough. So using my awesome brain, I figured that a saturation of 50% of 900 deg would be 450 deg .. then fine tuned with +2 steering linearity. I will likely try lowering the wheel weight and fine tune the steering linearity and steering saturation a bit more while trying out the other car types, but for anyone looking for a starting point give those a shot.

Once I get more time in the game I might write more of a review, but so far so good. Can't wait to get more time on it.

Look for me playing online soon PSN = SoCaLLbeer

- Update - I have changed my wheel settings as I have found the sweet spot for me. Having the saturation so low (45%) seemed to be limiting the FFB response, so I upped the wheel saturation (65%) and increased the steering linearity to +4 to get the sensitivity correct. The game is still tons of fun, started doing the online Racenet challenges and progressed a little further in single player career with touring cars. Now that I am used to the control feel and learning the tracks, it just keeps getting better.

- Update - 2 - I have changed my wheel settings again. Increasing the wheel saturation all the way to 100% is giving me the best feel - I am not going any faster but it is more enjoyable. Been playing online more and find that I am generally slow... bottom of the leader boards for my racing clubs and generally finishing in the back of the pack. Oh well.. it is still very fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment