Monday, March 19, 2012

Final Prep (for Rain) 3/17/2012

Image Not Found

Well we spent the day Saturday doing some final prep work for the race coming this weekend. My dad built a roof out of some drip pans and extended the front wind screen up. Hopefully this will help protect us from the rain. We do not have any windshield wipers so it's gonna be a pain to see if the rain is heavy. When we originally built our car, we never thought about encountering rain. Oh well what can you do?

I mounted on our new fancy rear view mirror that is nearly as wide as the car. We should have no problems seeing anyone coming up behind us.

Image Not Found

After mounting a place for our fuel cell dip stick to go in the trunk, I changed the oil. What I found was milky oil left over from our last race, our head was loose and water was mixing in the oil. We have had the head off and replaced the head gasket so we hope the problem wont come back. I just dumped in some cheap oil and put on a used oil filter to flush this stuff out and will change it again at the track Friday when we put the new spark plugs in.

Image Not Found

I got a bad bit of news while I was sick in bed last week, one of our drivers and friends wont be able to race with us. He is fine, just has work schedule conflicts. He also normally hauls our spare motor and transmission. We are taking on another driver from the Mazdaritia team who were wait listed for the race and Spank is kindly taking up our spare motor and transmission for us. So things are working out, not as planned but hey, if everything went as planned it would not feel like LeMons racing.

I have got myself plenty of practice on the Forza 4 Infineon Track, but I have no experience racing in the rain. Hopefully we can keep it together and finish this wet race. Even better the weather shifts and we get to pull this roof of and enjoy some dry track.. Realistically though, I have been told it always rains at Infineon so I am expecting a down pour.

Image Not Found

The next post will come after the race weekend.. Hopefully it will be a good one. I can't wait to be at the track on Friday...

No comments:

Post a Comment