Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Work Days Spring 2013..

Image Not Found

Well.. there hasn't been much going on since our last race back in March with the RX7. My pops got the new setup tested on the RX7 and now we are getting the cars ready for Button Terrible which is coming up quickly on June 29-30th. The Spitwad needs a lot more work including some safety upgrades so I dove in and started hacking up the car and my pops helped me get the fabrication done.

Image Not Found

I then had a friend of mine come over and properly weld in the new cage modifications. This guy can really weld, unlike me, I am freaking clueless..

Image Not Found

Pretty damn sure between the thick steal plate, DOM tubing, and proper welds.. it is almost as strong as the frame of this pile of British excellence. Really glad he does the work for us, in the safety aspect, we need all the help we can get..

Image Not Found

Speaking of improved safety... I threw down some cash and picked up a Necksgen for my fiance and I. Racing is not all that dangerous, relatively, but only if you're properly protected. So I really felt it was worth the cash which is over 1/2 my estimated value of the spit in its awesome current condition. The Necksgen helmet posts were quick and easy to install and it is very comfortable. A great feature I did not expect is how easy turning your head is with it on. Compared to the HANS my pops has, that I used to borrow from him, the movement is much better. This will increase our visibility so we can better watch for all the cars we are passing, er well, being passed by. Really glad I went with it verse another brand plus it came with a cool hat and two LeMons get out of jail free cards. Who doesn't love a free cool hat?

Now that the welding is done, the last safety work is to install a new bulkhead/firewall between the fuel cell and the driver compartment. After that, we can finally get to the maintenance work.. and shit it is British so there is plenty to do. Not all of it is required, but the more of it we get done the better. I also bought all the parts to rebuild the brakes and would like to get that done before the race as well. We will see...

No comments:

Post a Comment