Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Other events at Sonoma Raceway - Photos

While up in the Sonoma, CA for a work trip, I had a day off which was spent at the race track. Nothing else in the area really interests me and Sears Point is just an amazing facility. Now sporting a Nikon D5100 with a $130 refurbished 55-200mm VR lens, I am learning to take motorsport pictures. The camera can take really good images and goes with me almost everywhere.

There was a racing school on the track hosted by Emotive that ran some nice Formula 3 Lola cars. Was fun to watch these machines cruise around the track with no one else around. The grounds were open and I was free to roam the whole place, which I pretty much had all to myself.

Image not found

Image not found

Another day I found out they had Drag and Drift racing Wednesday nights at the raceway. So two hours were squeezed out of my work schedule to go check it out and take some pictures. Most of my time was spent watching the drifters as it was more exciting than the drag racing. Some of these drifters obviously had no idea what they were doing except for enjoying themselves, though, others were quite skillful in the art. From what felt to be a safe distance, I snapped as many pictures as I could in the short time frame. Still lacking good panning technique, it takes me often a hundred shots to get one I like, but I am successful often enough to show some pretty good ones.

Image not found

Image not found

In all honesty, these times spent taking pictures at the track were to practice for the 24 hour of LeMons race - Sears Pointless. With my Dad and a couple friends, I will be racing in this event, so having an idea of where to take shots from was the plan.

Here are links to both albums from the Racing School and the Drag and Drift Night.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment